Everyone has posted their best and worst dress list, SNL has poked fun at various acceptance speeches, and now we’re all just waiting for the Divergent movie. But I’m still asking the most important Oscars related question: how does this affect me?!? The gowns are stunning, but I rarely wear ball gowns or formal wear. So today I consider some ways to wear the trends that we loved (or, at least, saw a lot of) at the 2014 Oscars.
There was not nearly enough color. I suppose these awards are more conservative and less edgy than other ceremonies, but I just loved the few color dresses that I saw. (Gabourey Sidibe’s dress was another winner for color and texture!) Obviously I loved Jennifer Lawrence in Dior (who doesn’t?) and Viola Davis wore that bright teal Escada that was such a beautiful color.
Reds like Jennifer
- OPI Cajun Shrimp
- Dorothy Perkins Red Almond Toe Shoes ($35)
- Dorothy Perkins Red Mini Curve Bowler ($29)
Teals like Viola
- Old Navy Cross Front Jersey Dresses ($30)
- Jumbo Acrylic Links Necklace from BaubleBar ($42, on sale for $30)
- OPI Fly
Most of the other dresses were either black or “white.” A sequined sand color was so popular and accounts for so many of the best dressed. Pictured above is just a selection: Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab; Jennifer Garner in Oscar de la Renta; and Cate Blanchett in Armani Privé. To incorporate this trend, I would lean towards items with intricate gold embellishments or a lacy pattern.
- H&M Ring ($6)
- Dorothy Perkins Metal lace effect necklace ($17)
- Pim Larkin Boatneck Lace Top at Piperlime ($45)
- Dorothy Perkins Cream Lace Ankle Strap Pumps ($35)
- Lipsy Dress with Embellished Mesh at Asos ($131, on sale for $90)
Anna Kenrick’s J Mendel dress was not universally loved. Those who liked it appreciated the illusion of a crop top, but those who hated it dislike the embroidery red flowers on said crop top. Regardless, her dress and Charlize Theron in Christian Dior Haute Couture both had sheer black panels – a trend that is legitimately popular this year!
- French Connection Sheer Insert Double Strap Dress at Asos ($160 on sale for $50)
- Dorothy Perkins Black Lace Bow Back Jersey Top ($28)
- New Look Guipure Sleeve Dress at Asos ($43)
- Dorothy Perkins Black Insert Floral Midi ($55)
Who was your favorite at the Oscars? Which trend would you wear?